Maybe the first thing that comes to your mind while talking about balcony gardening is the sprawling grass, lush flowers and the floating water features near your seaside apartment. But for those staying in small or medium size apartments, where the balcony spaces are limited to 300-400 sq ft, the idea of having a prolific garden is far sighted. However, if you are creative, you can transform your small balcony into a place apt for relaxing and enjoying. Balcony gardening starts from potted plant collection to elevated beds, to vertical and hanging garden to a zen corner, to a water-based delight, to veggies and ornamentals to….the series goes on innovative.
Here are 9 inexpensive tips to beautify your balcony:
- Plant selection: Select plants that are ideal for terrace gardening. If you wish to grow veggies, then, tomato, radish, chili, bush beans, fenugreek, Malabar leaves, palak etc are ideal. Filling the area with colorful flowers like Marigold, Rose, Hibiscus, Anthurium, Night Jasmine etc., is not only aesthetically pleasing but gives a glow to your eyes and carries you in its stride with its fragrance. On the contrary, if herbs are your choice, then green plants with medicinal values like Tulsi, Mint, Coriander etc., are refreshing to the body and mind.
- Selection of space: always select a space where you get enough sunlight, maybe for 3-4 hours. Arrange the plants by height and size.
- Usage of vertical space: vertical space can be decorated with hanging pots or ladder scape gardening. Plants like, Orchids, Ivy, Asparagus Ferns, Geraniums etc, suits best here and these plants give you an energizing arena.
- Usage of containers: containers with potholes that sync with the growth habits of your plants, should be ideal. Make sure they have adequate drainage as well. If you plan to leave your pots out through the winter, ensure that they are frost-proof to avoid cracking.
- Selection of soil: the right mix of soil requires regular soil, compost, coir peat (or sand) and vermicompost in equal proportions.
- Watering: is a major aspect to be taken care of. Watering slowly in the morning and evening keeps the plants evergreen.
- Usage of manures: always avoid chemical fertilizers. The food waste which we throw on a daily basis can be used as a manure for these plants.
- Railings: Allow some creepers on the railings, to glam up. Along the railings install a shelf or hanging flower boxes outside, to generate a visual impact.
- Illumination: enliven your balcony with soothing lights like paper lanterns, string lights or little glass chandeliers to give a delightful touch.
When you have an awesome balcony with an equally awesome view, playing with colors and ideas is indeed fun. Covering the complete area with different shades of greenery, converting it into a fine dining space, or a reading area or a coffee time sit out – there are unlimited options to make the best use of this isolated, secluded space. Thus, gear up your weekends and spare time to add charm to your apartment with balcony gardens. Nurture them with love and care and watch them flourish, making your balcony to a wonderful, evergreen, heaven.